We provided our thoughts for the 2021-2024 Conservation and Demand Management Framework consultation that was just conducted by Ontario Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines. Our recommendations for future frameworks and program design for electricity and natural gas are based on experience with applying Performance-Based Conservation (PBC) methodology to achieve significant energy and emissions reductions in Ontario’s built environment.
- Focus resources on high energy savings potential buildings.
- Engage in multi-year relationships rather than individual projects.
- Support ongoing, portfolio-wide energy management, not just individual projects.
- Require collaboration between utility companies.
- Provide training and technical support.
- Use financial incentives to raise corporate awareness and maintain focus on results.